Monday, April 2, 2012

Men, Stress, and the Mundane

37 weeks
The last few days have been pretty stressful.  I’ve gotten into more than one nasty fight with Vince that left me feeling beat down and exhausted.  Honestly, I just don’t have the emotional endurance to keep up with him.  He is a constant fire that gets bored and destructive easily.  I just want harmony.  On some days, and in some ways, my natural inclination toward moderation and calm is a balm to him, and we work well together.   At other times, we work in complete opposition.  It doesn’t help that, on top of it all, he is stubborn, and I am even more stubborn.

My mother had a pretty horrible couple of days as well, and I feel so guilt-ridden about it.  It always seems that when I’m not around, her luck is worse.  Her emotional and physical state has become a constant sore on the back of my heart filled with worry.  Sometimes I can’t even bare to imagine the amount of stress she holds on her little shoulders.  I know her physical health is suffering from it.  She is such a fighter, even uphill in the rain, because she doesn’t know how to do anything else.  She’s not the sort of woman that finds the sneaky way around, she’s the sort that will fight on and on up that hill until she just drops from exhaustion.  I just wish Chris, her child-like significant other, would put more effort into easing her burden.  He starts work at Wal-mart tomorrow, and already he has done nothing but complain and make my mother feel horrible.  Sometimes I just want to hit him.  Or put him in time-out.  I’m not sure which would be more productive.

I had a doctor’s appointment this last Wednesday.  I unexpectedly had to walk, and so showed up a little less than fifteen minutes late.  The receptionist tried to tell me that the doctor wouldn’t see me, because I was too late, but I think she realized the danger in telling a pregnant woman that she can’t see her doctor.  I probably would have thrown a fit.

Anyhow, because my primary doctor is off breathing the thin air of Mt. Everest, I got to meet one of his partners instead.  I actually think I liked her better.  She told me a little more than he usually did.  According to her, the baby is still sitting rather high, and he hasn’t fully dropped yet.  That certainly explains the discomfort.  It also puts me a bit at ease.  I can pretty much count on delivering close to, or after my due-date.

Truth be told, I would love to pop him out on 4/20.  I’ve tried to convince Vince to buy me some Red Raspberry Leaf tea, as well as some evening primrose oil, just to try and help things along.  I may also ask to have my membranes swept that day.  I’m not desperate enough for the birth date that I’ll use castor oil, and I certainly would not care for a chemically induced labor.  So I’ll have to stick to the good old standby of sex, pineapple, and spicy foods to try and get this baby out on that day.  If it doesn’t happen, I can’t be too upset.

My mother bought a battery charger, so my camera is officially up and running again.  Perhaps next time I’ll have some pictures to share.  It’s not really a blog without pictures, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment